This is a family recipe from my mom's side that everyone makes and LOVES. This is a fresh apple cake with caramel drizzle and it is to die for. This cake is awesome hot, but it is just as good once it's cooled down. This is a favorite at family functions and potlucks and it's a great way to use all those apples we pick at the local you-pick farm near our house.
3 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegatable oil
3 cups apples, chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp vanilla
1. Sift dry ingredients. Set aside.
2. Beat eggs. Add sugar and oil. Beat for 3 minutes.
3. Slowly stir in dry ingredients. At this point, it will have a consistancy similar to bread dough.
4. Fold in apples, nuts and vanilla. Pour into a 10 inch greased and floured tube pan (I use a bunt pan) Instead of chunks of apples, I prefer to have slices. I think it gives a better consistency and makes the apples cook better, but it really is a personal preference. When you add the apples the mixture will be mostly apples and not look anything like your standard cake batter. Trust me, it will bake awesome!
5. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup or 1 stick margarine
1. Put all ingredients together in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
2. Boil for 3 minutes and then pour over the cake while the cake is still hot.
This cake is awesome hot, but it is just as good once it's cooled down. This is a favorite at family functions and potlucks and it's a great way to use all those apples we pick at the local you-pick farm near our house.
If you like this recipe and want to see more that I've posted feel free to go to the top and click on my Recipes tab. Thanks!
Linking this recipe up at: